Thursday, August 28, 2008

WNBA MVP voting begins today

Think Lindsay Whalen deserves to be named the league's most valuable player? Is Lauren Jackson still your top choice despite her impending surgery? What about Seimone , DT or Candace Parker?

For the first time ever, fans can weigh in on the MVP race this season by casting their votes at The polls open today and will run through Sept. 15. The winner of the MVP will be named during the playoffs.

The online fan vote will comprise 25 percent of the total MVP vote, while the media vote will make up the remaining 75 percent.

In addition, a “WNBA MVP presented by T-Mobile” sweepstakes will run during the voting period. Everyone that casts a vote for their MVP candidate on will automatically be entered, and the winner and a guest will win a trip to a 2008 WNBA Finals game, WNBA merchandise, a T-Mobile handset and a $100 prepaid T-Mobile service card.

There have been five recipients of the MVP Award in the WNBA’s 11-year history. Past winners include Lauren Jackson (Seattle Storm - 2007, 2003), Lisa Leslie (Los Angeles Sparks - 2006, 2004, 2001), Sheryl Swoopes (Houston Comets – 2005, 2002, 2000), Yolanda Griffith (Sacramento Monarchs – 1999) and Cynthia Cooper (Houston Comets – 1998, 1997).

No comments: