Thursday, August 12, 2010

Jekabsone-Zogota may play against Storm

Anete Jekabsone-Zogota, who is recovering from July 8 arthroscopic knee surgery, participated in a full practice with the Connecticut Sun for the first time Thursday, and may see her first game action since June 27 on Friday against the Seattle Storm.

But Jekabsone-Zogota admits she is still far from 100 percent, and said it "depends on how the game goes" if she plays, adding if the score is tight, she may not come off the bench.

"Right now I need to be mentally stronger," the guard/forward said. "It’s really hard for me to understand that maybe nothing will happen and push myself more. But when I come to the court to practice, I’m really slow and thinking about my knee. When I’m at home, I’m like, ‘OK, I’m ready, let’s go,’ and I work hard.

"It is hard. When you don’t have injury, some things you don’t understand. But when it happens to you, you understand how hard it is to come back."

Asked if the Sun had to use her, in case of fouls for example, Jekabsone-Zogota said, "Then of course, I would play." But she said she needs more time practicing before she feels fully confident in her ability to contribute.

"Even you can go do the same speed," Jekabsone-Zogota said to a reporter. "In defense, I was really, really bad. I just need more practice with the team, just to use the leg."

The Sun (14-15) are three games behind fourth-place Washington for the final playoff spot in the East with five games to play. They were 9-4 before Jekabsone-Zogota, their best perimeter scorer, injured her knee at the New York Liberty and are 5-11 since.

No comments: