The WNBA won't make a decision on possible suspensions or fines surrounding Tuesday's Detroit-L.A. brawl until tomorrow before each team's respective games, Ron Howard, the league's director of basketball communication, said Wednesday. It appears whatever actions are handed down will take effect immediately.
It is believed the league, in addition to reviewing tapes, have or will interview some participants of Tuesday's game, though Sparks coach Michael Cooper said he nor his players had been contacted as of prior to their practice at Mohegan Sun Arena Wednesday afternoon.
Check back here later tonight for more from Cooper, Candace Parker and Lisa Leslie on their reflections a day after the WNBA's first big brawl.
The Shock also announced Wednesday that Cheryl Ford will miss the remainder of the regular season and playoffs due to a torn ACL in her right knee suffered during Tuesday's game. The injury was diagnosed following an MRI administered Wednesday morning.
Ford suffered the injury while grabbing a rebound with 2:06 left to play in the fourth quarter. She left the game temporarily and returned, but apparently had her knee buckle under her while trying to subdue teammate Plenette Pierson during the late-game melee. She left the court in a wheelchair.
It's a humongous blow to the East-leading Shock, who have lost two straight games (both at home) anyway. They were already leaning heavily on rookie Tasha Humphrey in the froncourt and will now most likely look more to fellow first-year forward Olayinka Sanni and recent acquisition, center Stacey Lovelace. Ford, who had micro-fracture surgery on her left knee this past offseason, was averaging 10.1 points and 8.7 rebounds.